DITY Moving Options

Many DITY Move options exist:

  • Rental Trucks - This is the option most often associated with DITY moves. You rent a truck, load it, drive it to your new home, and unload it.
  • Rental Trailers - Typically suitable for either partial DITY moves or those individuals with small amounts of goods.
  • You-Pack/We-Drive - The fastest growing option for DITY moves. Simplifies the process and typically affords the greatest profit for military movers.
  • POV - Using your personally owned vehicle to move your goods. Military may be paid for moving personal belongings in your vehicle such as clothing, suitcases, etc.

The options above should be carefully examined. In some cases, more than one option may be appropriate. For example, you may elect to hire a You-Pack/We-Drive company, but prefer to keep your most valuable items with you in a rental trailer. The final decision will likely be based on a combination of personal preference, cost, and destination.

Helpful Hints:

  • Don't pass up on the POV option. Nearly every CONUS move should be able to take advantage of at least a partial DITY using it. It's a simple way to make a little money to ease your move.
  • Consider how long you anticipate waiting for housing at your new duty station. If you will be in temporary housing for a while, your goods will most likely have to be stored. While the government will reimburse you for limited storage of your goods. It's up to you to place those items into storage and retrieve them. In other words, you could end up loading and unloading your goods TWICE. Some of the You-Pack/We-Drive companies offer built-in storage options which will help you to avoid this problem.
  • Make sure you understand the amount of time you have to return trucks and trailers. Late fees can be extremely expensive and will quickly eat up your profits. Ask the company EXACTLY how much it will cost to keep the truck or trailer for every day it is late.
  • Contact your insurance company to determine what coverage you have during your move. This includes coverage for driving a rental truck (your auto insurance) and coverage of your goods while in transit (typically renter's or homeowner's insurance).